Monday, November 7, 2011

"Love Is The Weapon That Destroys All Evil"


I cannot seem to get over the story of these two men, or those of hundreds of other Rwandans. Their expressions are overwhelming and from this photo alone, I feel that I learn a valuable lesson about the ability of a human to have a holy heart. This is certainly not a scene that you could fake. Could you stand next to the killer of your brother in a comfortable and loving embrace, holding his hand, smiling... and see the once-a-killer at your side... flooded with peace and relief? I find it so incredible and humbling, that those who lost their family members, now are so happy to allow those attackers forgiveness and peace. Jimmy Cowart traveled to Rwanda and reports these stories of a nation and people that know what it means to lose, to suffer, to heal, and to forgive:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/07/my-take-if-rwandans-can-forgive-killings-we-can-forgive-the-waitress/?iref=allsearch

It helps me think a bit more about my own heart. Am I patient with people? Do I remember that my forgiveness is linked to their repentance? The article talks about how those involved in the genocide did not feel at peace until they knew they were forgiven. Really, I think in our society we make people resent themselves because we emphasize their little errors and inconveniences. Cowart talks of how we seethe when someone takes our parking spot or a waitress is delayed in filling out drink. And I think... we aren't always so discrete about our frustration. Often the scene is us not leaving a tip, flipping the bird, or complaining loudly so they can hear. Instantly a person's unintended error or inconvenience has become the mark on their day that reminds them that they aren't cutting it. I wish I could be like these two men in the photo, Innocence and Gespard. I wish I could be the person to put my arm around my brother's killer and bring him back from a lonely place. I can't make that promise when I haven't been in Gespard's shoes... but I think I can start with reminders to have a little more compassion for the people in my everyday encounters.

No comments:

Post a Comment