Friday, November 25, 2011

That Time of Year

... To publicly say how I inwardly feel ...

Question... why is grateful spelled (or called) GRATE-FUL? ... I am full of Grate ??? That doesn't seem right, now does it? Like, I am full of grating feelings? Because that doesn't sound pleasant or kind. I am full of a love to grate cheese? I guess it has a certain appeal... like the fact that it is the prelude to making a homemade baked potato or pizza... I guess that could be nice. I imagine that you are actively trying, with your telepathic powers, to send me the message that grateful derives from the word gratitude. Brilliant. Well, to whomever went and invented the word "grateful" 400 years ago (it's more than 400 years, isn't it?), where do you think you get off just chopping up words like "gratitude" and topping them off with "ful"? It's very confusing! Now four hundred years later you have one very troubled person that is trying to make sense of it all. What I am trying to say is that I don't think that is what they meant when they said, "shave off the fat" because now you've left us with this very strange predicament... that I am not sure whether we are saying that we are full of gratitude or full of grating feelings... two very different things.

I'm not just bringing this up because it's annoying that people often make the spelling error "great-ful"... Really, the phrasing "great-ful" does not make sense either.. I am full of greatness. Now that is just egocentric. If you were saying my life if full of greatness... then I suppose that could be OK. Now "THANKFUL", that's a word that I can really get behind. No ambiguity there. It is what it is. I am full of thanks... and I say things as they are. I am sorry Grateful, but I may always have a beef with you. You simply can't compare to Thankful.

Now I've completely run out of time to say those things which I am thankful for... unfortunately I will have to give thanks some other time(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment